Friday, May 8, 2015

You Must Have a Blog! Or...?

It's pretty standard indie marketing advice: You must maintain a blog and post to it regularly. But is it really necessary? What if you do spend time and effort on that, but get zero results?

That's pretty much the case for my "Writing News" blog, from which I've taken an unintended hiatus since late March. About the only real value it ever had was getting the word out about my book formatting services. That was mainly regarding children's books because I posted some basic do-it-yourself instructions (now outdated) directly on the blog, but I haven't had any new customers from that recently.

Has my "blog for readers" worked to build the audience for my books? As far as I can tell, no. That's not an assumption based on lack of tracking, that's an assumption based on lack of sales. My sales stats are grim enough that if I did get a boost from something, I'd see it.

I haven't decided what to do with that blog. It might end up becoming dormant, like a couple other blogs I have (one about my photography, and one about an esoteric bit of computer hardware). I've pondered some ideas for reinvigorating the blog by shifting the content, but so far… well, I'm still undecided.

So what do you think about the "requirement" to maintain an active blog as part of your marketing mix for promoting your books? If you have a blog, active or otherwise, feel free to leave a link in the Comments.

5 comments:

  1. I blog pretty regularly and get comments on pretty much every post. What I've noticed with blogging is it seems more important to make connections with other bloggers. Visit them and comment and sometimes they will venture to yours and follow it. Now, that's not much to do with finding readers for your books, but in my experience, those connections have gotten me a wider audience because I'm invited to post on their blog. Like anything else, blogging takes works and can take a while to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see that working well if you do get some cross-blog activity like that. I've tried interacting on other blogs but none of those bloggers has ever commented on my posts. I still comment on others, but gave up on the hope that they'll check out my blog. On the other hand, this blog (about book marketing) might be more successful in developing interaction because it can satisfy the "what's in it for me" angle.

      Delete
    2. I know not every blogger will return to yours after you've visited there. I thin I've been a little lucky in I've found a nice group that I've formed connections with so they always visit my blog after I visit theirs, and some after seeing me comment a lot just added me to their list of blogs to visit.

      Delete
  2. But is it important as a writer to have a blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's important for writers to give blogging a solid try, to see if they can make it work. Whether they have it in the long run, i.e., whether they keep going, should depend on whether the time and effort is providing a positive return on that investment.

      Delete