If you're like me and you have books available through Kobo (for example, one of mine there is Assets, Budgets, and Credit: A Financial ABC), there's an interesting way to use their occasional contests to help promote your books. You can see if there is a contest currently running at the following address:
If there is one, here's what you can do:
- Sign up for the contest
- Play each day's trivia round—and do your research to make sure you get it right!
- Look for the email they send you with a one-time use discount code (which I've seen range from 10% off up to about 30% off)
- Offer the code to your followers, but do not just post it where they can see – it's a one-time use code, so someone who is interested should do something to get the code from you (which could be just asking for it, it depends on how creative you are)
- Go back each day to get all of the possible codes
Some additional points to consider:
- Codes typically expire when the contest does, so you can't accumulate a bunch for later, and anybody who gets a code from you needs to use it promptly
- Someone who gets a code from you might not by your book with the code, but the fact that you're giving codes away at all gives you a chance to increase your visibility, and visibility is good even if it does not immediately lead to a sale
- You might win something nicer than a discount code!
So far I've tried this twice, and neither time had anybody ask me for a code. I think that says a lot about Kobo's market share and "mind share." However, as mentioned above, it still gives me something to talk about to increase my visibility, so I plan to continue doing it.